Knights MK is voluntarily Regulated in what is an unregulated industry!!! Directors at Knights MK are members of Safeagent and the Property Ombudsman (TPOS)
There are currently over 100 agents in MK, however there is only a handful that are registered with Safeagent.
Safeagent is the most respected and recognised scheme of its type; offering superb value for money for agents, and complete peace of mind for tenants and landlords.
That means people can have confidence in any firm using the Safeagent logo, because they know every single accredited firm has had to agree to:
- Meet defined standards of customer service.
- Be part of a Client Money Protection Scheme (Knights MK register all deposits in the TDS)
- Have a written customer complaints procedure offering independent redress through an ombudsman.
- Have current Professional Indemnity Insurance.
- Have a designated client bank account.
What are the levels of service that landlords can expect from Safeagent registered firms?
The Safeagent Service Standards which all registered firms agree to meet are as follows:
Before the letting the agent will:
- Visit the property and advise on any action you need to take before letting the property. This includes any repairs and refurbishments needed to put it into a fit state for letting.
- Give you advice on the level of rent you can expect.
- If you ask, they will arrange safety checks on gas and electrical appliances.
- Explain your rights and responsibilities, and the tenant's rights and responsibilities.
- Give you advice on what action to take if the property is mortgaged.
- Go with possible new tenants to view unoccupied property.
- Choose a tenant in a way agreed with you, taking up references or checking the tenant's rent payment record.
- Arrange for the preparation of a schedule of the condition of the property and its contents for you, together with acceptance by the tenant of a property so described.
- Provide and fill in a tenancy agreement and take a deposit to protect against possible damage or agree with you another sort of guarantee.
- Transfer the bills for the services for which the tenant will be responsible into the tenant's name.
During the tenancy the agent will:
- Collect the rent and pass it on to you every month or as otherwise agreed. The agent will keep a separate clients' account to hold all money and (except for Registered Social Landlords) belong to a Clients' Money Protection Scheme.
- Give you a statement of account as often as agreed with you (usually monthly).
- Visit the property periodically during the course of the tenancy as often as agreed with you (e.g. every three months) to check it is being suitably looked after.
- Arrange to have routine maintenance work carried out, up to a limit agreed with you. The agent will refer expenditure above that limit to you for approval.
- Respond promptly to the tenant's enquiries.
- Keep an eye on the rent payment record and take reasonable steps to safeguard prompt payment of any money owed.
Before the tenancy ends the agent will:
- Give you advice on your options including reviewing the rent.
If you want to end the tenancy, the agent will:
- Serve the correct notices on the tenant.
- Check the condition of the property and any contents and discuss any repairs with you before giving the deposit back or arranging for repairs.
- Collect the key and make sure that the property is secure.